DLA Piper is one of the world’s most successful law firms, with teams located in more than 40 countries across America, Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. DLA Piper was named as one of the most innovative law firms in 2018 by the Financial Times.
The challenge for DLA Piper was to create a diverse international leadership programme that develops consistent values, regardless of global location. The aim was to foster a new generation of emotionally intelligent leaders with the right attitudes and skillsets to take DLA Piper into the future.
DLA Piper partnered with JCA Global, a PSI Business, to create a bespoke Careers Pathway Programme in three parts:
- An assessment system to accurately evaluate future talent against specific leadership competencies. The system involves carefully selected assessments, deep dive interviews, personal reports, coaching sessions and individual development plans.
- A residential Development Centre where leaders are given the opportunity to develop their Emotional Intelligence (EI). This week-long event is co-delivered with DLA Piper facilitators trained in the JCA Emotional Intelligence Profile.
- Programme follow up of individual coaching and masterclasses on topics covered in the Development Centre, as well as regular check-ins with internal managers and HR business partners.
DLA Piper has seen a change in mindset on an international scale. Leaders manage their teams in an emotionally intelligent way and live the DLA Piper values.
- Over 55% of delegates have been promoted into leadership roles, with a ready-now talent pool for future leadership roles
- The gender talent pool at leadership level is growing, with more women ready to step into leadership roles
- Leaders that were promoted to Partner are now advocates for the programme, helping to guide colleagues through the process
- By helping leaders to develop resilience, DLA Piper is retaining talent in a sustainable way and attrition rates are at an all-time low